Enable Airprint for ALL your shared printers
Apple ROYALLY pissed me off with this AirPrint feature in iOS 4.2.1 release. To only support a dozen wifi printers out the gate is just plain asinine. Oy vey!! C’mon guys! You’re better than this. I have no clue WHY you chose screw up your precious USER EXPERIENCE (oh, make no mistake, you screwed up the user experience royally!). But, here’s the work around your users came her for. It’s blissfully easy:
1) Remove your existing printers via System Preferences.
2) Launch Applescript Editor
3) Cut and paste these two lines and then run the script (you’ll need your admin password):
do shell script "echo '# enable AirPrint
image/urf urf (0,UNIRAST<00>)' > /usr/share/cups/mime/airprint.types" with administrator privileges
4) You can either REBOOT your mac -or- you can kill the CUPSD process via Activity Monitor. It’ll revive itself after a few minutes. Your call.
5) Once CUPSD is running again you can re-add your printer(s) and then SHARE the one(s) you want via System Preferences.
And guess what!? You can now print from your iPad or your iPhone. Oh, hell YES!… you just did what Apple should have enabled from the get go. Congrats.